Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Weightlifter's Lounge
(02-23-2017, 11:53 AM)Renberg Wrote: I read the study and I'm calling shenanigans.

It was an online survey conducted to 1,000 people. There didn't seem to be any definition of high-intensity and low-intensity. At the same time, I don't trust surveys. People lie, justify and validate.

There's no consideration of body fat percentage, workouts per week, types of workout and other factors that play a role in workouts and male libido.

Regardless, assuming all is valid about this survey, it doesn't seem they're referring to what you or me does at the gym, soup. The article in particular highlights strenuous activity as marathon running. Marathon running is usually associated with people with very low BF%, which I believe has more of an impact on libido.

There actually also doesn't seem to be any mention about testosterone. It looks like a study intended for the media. Like the "Keeping up with the Kardashians" of science.

Regardless, I wouldn't use this article as any type of justification for any regular gym effects. Do some squats and a couple sets on the leg press and then tell me you don't want to put a load in every girl you see.

Just saw this.

1. Renberg scrutinized and dissected this "study" like a pro. Way too many confounding factors, possible attrition bias, online "survey" lol. This is the type of thing where you'd need a 5 year long cohort study of tens of thousands of people, with the same diet and lifestyle habits, same sleep patterns, same workout routines, same baseline testosterone and sex drive, same sexual habits, same EVERYTHING, and studied their test levels and sex drive every couple months for the 5+ years to even have a shred of credibility.

99% of people in the world don't know how to look at science journals and studies and accurately analyze them. They just see a paper with a URL of http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov and with an abstract and some statistics numbers and go, "Woah, seems SUPER legit". Any recent study on anything like this, or any new supplement or raved about vitamin thats "totally gonna change your life", needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

2. The whole "logic" thing.

Yeah, last time I checked most of the super built dudes who lift constantly are total pacifists, not aggressive, and aren't really into sex much. Oh wait.

It's flat out moronic. Like WIA said, if you run a 16 miles you're not going to want to come home and fuck your wife. You'd be tired. Same as saying if you worked a 20 hour shift and came home not in the mood to have sex. Low T? No. You're simply tired.

3. Even if the study were factually accurate, which it is not in any way shape or form, it has zero effect on you unless you starting incorporating an afternoon run from Brooklyn to the north end of central park and back into your daily routine.
Follow me on Twitter

Sozemedia.com
Is it even possible to "spend" testosterone like you would calories?
[Image: cad_companion_check_out_banner_2.jpg]
Liked by:
Hans,

What kind of tempos have you been incorporating into your training? If you want your squat/deadlift to go up, I've got a couple excellent protocols for you to try out if you don't mind feeling fucked up from DOMS.

Jbell,

F. Wayland Thurston hit the nail on the head. German Volume Training will slap some serious meat onto your legs. I have the original protocol at work, can PM it to you this weekend.

Wanted to pop in here to give a shout out to Renberg for grinding through the winter months and still make progress in the form of PRs lately. When I met this dude a year ago in person to where he is now, is a radical transformation. He's taken his lumps and gotten severely humbled along the way, but he has been consistent in pushing himself both diet wise and in the weight room. Most of his progress I've seen has been on Snapchat because he doesn't brag nearly enough on here, but he deserves recognition for it. I'm proud to have been able to help him out with some programs along the way, but he's gone above and beyond to push himself.

Also I front squatted 300 for the first time this week, which was kind of cool.
Netflix and chill SelfFlix and win
(02-24-2017, 06:38 AM)soup Wrote: Is it even possible to "spend" testosterone like you would calories?

No. Testosterone is a hormone that signals chemical reactions in your body. Calories are units of energy your body utilizes to conduct those reactions.
Liked by: Renberg , J Soze
Mongo, thanks my man. Couldn't have done it without you- biggest fitness impact and motivation anyone has had on me. Look forward to seeing you take that industry by storm, homie.
Liked by:
(02-24-2017, 06:40 AM)Mongo Wrote: Hans,

What kind of tempos have you been incorporating into your training? If you want your squat/deadlift to go up, I've got a couple excellent protocols for you to try out if you don't mind feeling fucked up from DOMS.

Dude there's nothing in this world I love more than not being able to walk normally because of a leg workout.

Lay it on me.
Liked by:
I forgot my training shoes at home while traveling this week but was not about to go 5 whole days without a workout.

So I invented something new. I dubbed it the Russian Elevator.

So the hotel I was at had a standard build. A long, single hallway with staircases at either end of the building.

Starting on the 2nd floor, I would sprint through the hallway full speed. Once done, immediately drop and do 20 full ROM pushups. Then enter the stairwell and sprint up 5 flights of stairs to the 7th floor. Sprint across the hallway, 20 pushups again. Run back down to the 3rd floor, sprint across, pushups, back up to 7, back down to 4, and so on. It was actually a REALLY good HIIT workout and I'm glad I did it.

I did it the whole thing with bare feet but I'll take dirty feet over nogains any day. Also I luckily didn't smash into anyone but I also got up to do it at 5am so I didn't see many people in the hallways anyway.

If you are ever bored on the road and want to mix up your travel workout, give it a shot.
Liked by: jbell22 , Mori , gvnr , Fisherman , Mongo
Fuck it, I'll just post the original template of German Volume Training in here for anyone who wants to try it.

Day 1: Chest/Back
A1. Low Incline DB Bench Press 10x10 (Tempo 4020)
A2. Supinated Chin Ups 10x10 (Tempo 4020)
B1. Incline DB Flys 3x10-12 (Tempo 2020)
B2. Single Arm DB Row 3x10-12 (Tempo 2020)

Day 2: Legs/Abs
A1. Back Squat 10x10 (Tempo 4020)
A2. Lying Leg Curl 10x10 (Tempo 4020)
B1. Cable Crunch 3x10-12 (Tempo 2020)
B2. Seated Calf Raise 3x10-12 (Tempo 2020)

Day 3: OFF

Day 4: Arms/Shoulders
A1. Parallel Bar Dips 10x10 (Tempo 4020)
A2. Incline DB Curls 10x10 (Tempo 4020)
B1. Prone DB Raises 3x10-12 (Tempo 2020)
B2. Reverse Curl 3x10-12 (Tempo 2020)

Day 5: OFF

Repeat this cycle 6 times, pack on slabs of muscle.
Liked by: Renberg , Mori , JazzHands