Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Weightlifter's Lounge
Devon, you have the right idea. You're an athletic guy. But to get aesthetic, especially without the workload of playing competitive hockey, you need to cool it on carbs, ramp up protein and fats, and train differently. Personally I would lose the gut first - you know your playing weight is c. 180 so that's the base I would want to start from to start making decisions about where I would want to go with my training. Get your diet straight and good things will happen.
"Self love, my liege, is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting."

-- Henry V, Act 2, Scene IV
Liked by:
(05-19-2017, 04:06 PM)Devon Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 02:41 PM)mongo Wrote: Devon, it's possible to lose body fat while gaining muscle mass, but definitely not easy. Keep your protein high, build up training volume, keep carbs and fats in check.

What type of macros do you recommend?  There is so much different shit on the internet, it's impossible to know what to believe.  Like I said I have been pretty athletic my entire life and never had to track.  I would guess that my diet would have been close to 70% carbs when I was going hard.  I understand that is going to have to change!

1. Hydration. For your weight, aim for 1 gallon/day of water. If you aren't doing that, do it.
2. Protein. 200-250 g/day
Make up the rest of your macros with carbs and fat. Fat pre-workout, carbs post-workout. Then measure your weight 3-4x/week and take progress pics each week. Use the mirror and scale to determine your progress and make adjustments weekly. If your weight goes down and you look better, keep doing what you're doing. If you gain weight, cut back on the fat/carbs.
Netflix and chill SelfFlix and win
Liked by: Renberg
Stumbled upon this today, sounds intriguing:

"Why You Should Eat Protein Before Carbs"

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/wha...tein-carbs
Liked by:
Premier Protein shakes are actually not bad. 160 calories and 30 grams of protein per shake. Hardly any sugar and zero soy - not even lecithin, which can't be said for many shakes.

One of Gmanifestos best soy tweets was a retweet where a dude said he bought some protein powder to increase his protein levels, but all he really did was raise his soy levels.
^Even though I take it with a gain of salt nowadays, G manifesto's soy tweets crack me up

Is the perfect way to insult something without sounding like a dick. It's just soy.
Liked by: jbell22 , Simondice
Started the gym today now that the long weekend is over.

Tried lifting 80% of 1RM and was only hitting 4-5 reps and lucky to get 2 on my 5th set.   I assume this isn't good for cutting fat and bodybuilding and probably need to be in the 8-12 rep range, is this correct?  Also, how long of rest have you guys been taking between sets.  

I wanted to try and maintain that 80% lift as I want to loose the least amount of strength as possible.  I want to ditch the fat but definitely, do not want to turn into a soft pussy.  Would lifting for strength in the morning and then hitting some higher rep ranges at night be a good idea?

Fuck these workouts are tough to get through when you're only running on 1700 calories.
Liked by:
At 80%, you shouldn't be able to get more than 7 or 8 reps in a set. 3x5 at 80% is a murderous workout. If you're running 1700 calories, do what you can while you lift but expect your strength to suffer accordingly.

Your body is like a race car. If you're only filling the gas tank 1/2 way, you can't expect to run a full race.
Netflix and chill SelfFlix and win
Liked by:
(Yesterday, 05:58 AM)Mongo Wrote: At 80%, you shouldn't be able to get more than 7 or 8 reps in a set. 3x5 at 80% is a murderous workout. If you're running 1700 calories, do what you can while you lift but expect your strength to suffer accordingly.

Your body is like a race car. If you're only filling the gas tank 1/2 way, you can't expect to run a full race.

So if you only consume soy, your body becomes a Prius?
Liked by: jbell22 , RDF , Mongo